Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The magic of makeup

"Makeup: It makes me look really alive when I feel mostly dead."

This is my new mantra. Can you relate?
I grew up with a Mom (Ginny) who always wore makeup. I do not remember one day in my entire young or adult life when she left the house without her face on. So, it stands to reason that my sister and I were constantly told "Put some makeup on!" while other moms were screaming, "You look like a puttana, get that paint offa your face!" Ginny is the true definition of glamour and still looks hot at 76!



As I grew into my upper teens I embraced makeup more and more. I learned how to take good care of my skin after going to my first Mary Kay demonstration at the age of 16. Eventually, my friend roped me into selling it and now I reap the benefits of a 50% discount on fabulous skin care and makeup. If you would like to add some glamour to your life click here. (My new favorite foundation is Luminous Wear and I am getting compliments every where I go! I swear it has magical powers.)

After I got married and had kids, my makeup routine was very scanty. Sleep deprivation really got the best of me and I'd go a whole week without any makeup. Now, for some girls, this is OK. However, have you seen the movie Carrie with Sissy Spacek? That would be me. I think I may have scared many of my neighbors and the kids in the playground. (I think that babies are born with so/so vision just so they won't be petrified by their pale-faced mommies.)

I'm going to make a very bold statement now and call me superficial if you want to. Wearing makeup just makes me feel better. Even if I have lost an entire night's sleep, the minute the makeup hits the face, I perk right up. Don't ask me why, but I think it has something to do with that Fernando guy from SNL. "It's not how you feel, it's how you look. And you look Mahvelous!"

I know makeup isn't for everyone. I get it. I was one of you, and still am some days. (And PS. even when my face is done from brows to lips, my mother still says, "Why don't you put your makeup on?" She might be watching too many Kardashian shows. To her credit, she has been asking this question less since her double cataract surgeries.  

To recap: If you've been looking mostly dead and need a revival, try putting some makeup on.  Mom is always right!

No comments: