Remember, small changes here and there can add up to big savings in the long run. Think big picture.
1. If you wear contact lenses, try 1800Contacts. I have saved approx $30-$40 (compared to Dr. office prices, same name brand) for a year's supply. And to take it a step further: Stop wearing your contacts so much and wear your glasses more. If you are on the computer a lot (especially since you read my blog daily) you are prone to dry eyes. The glasses are a great way to give your eyes a rest and they make you look wicked smart. If you cut down on lens wear, you also save money on the ridiculously overpriced cleaning solutions.
The frames of today are so cute and trendy and I've been told that some people wear glasses even if they don't need to! What are you waiting for? I bought mine at JcPenney Optical. Check them out for some great coupon deals. I received excellent service there and love my new specs! (Note: This money saving method only works if you don't have eyes that are constantly changing. I happen to have the same Mrs. Magoo eyes since I was 13).
2. Thrift stores Save a suffering non-profit while shopping for treasures.
3. Lighten up on the gas pedal. Yes, we know you are in a hurry to schlep little Johnnie and Suzie to their baseball games and tutu fittings, but do you have to drive so fast and furious? Think about how much gas you are wasting every time you slam on that pedal. Let's go for a kinder, gentler foot, eh? Lighter foot= less road kill.
4. Use less....of everything. Do you really need 18 squares of toilet paper to wipe each time? Take a tip from my 3 year old. He uses 1 square each time (and if he doesn't rip the exact shape of a square, he has a conniption). Can you spare a square?
- Use the lights less
- Use your bath towels 3 times before you wash them.
- Wash clothes in cold water
- Take shorter showers
- Stop wasting plastic zip bags for kids' snacks and instead use small plastic containers. The landfill will thank you too.
6. Wash your own car
7. Clean your own house
8. Cook your own food
9. Swap babysitting with friends so you won't have to pay a sitter. A win/win!
10. Check out this blog for more great suggestions on Sharing It Forward.
Please share your frugal tips. The best of the bizarre are welcome!