Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rant of the Day

I ventured to the Dollar Store last night. While there, the cashier was checking out a customer who was on her cell phone the entire time, just chit chatting loudly to her friend about nothing special. She paid for her goods, continued to talk, the receipt handed to her, continued to talk, then walked out the door. Still talking, and walking. Oblivious to everyone around her. Completely unaware of her rudeness.

Next stop; 2 doors down, the market. Different customer and cashier. Same scenario.

I suppose this is normal for some people. They talk and drive, text and drive, talk and shop. They can never be in the moment, or say, focusing on the ROAD and not killing someone?

I am not a cell phone lover.

Unless you are Hawkeye from M*A*S*H talking Corporal Klinger through a makeshift tracheotomy using a Bic pen, then do you really need to be on the phone? Why is everyone so self-important? Why don't they care about my life, your life, and your kids' lives?

3 comments:

mindy said...

i agree. it is so tempting for people to constantly be in connection on the cell phone that they are missing the connections right in front of them. sadly, they are also missing the street signs. i had to stop using the cell (except when briefly important_) because the wave frequencies hurt my brain! ah, convenience is such a double edged sword.

Debra Turner said...

I know just what you mean. There is so much rudeness with cell phones. People are totally unaware how they come across. Often I pass outdoor tables at restaurants, where I see two people sitting at a table, texting and checking messages instead of talking to each other. Why could be so important?

I once had an acquaintance over to my home for a visit. After listening to her 3rd conversation on her cell, I asked if she'd mind turning her cell off. That was a little much, because I couldn't excuse myself and leave. Needless to say, we didn't end up becoming friends.

SHARON ELLEN BURTMAN said...

I love having a cell to call a friend if I'm running late, need directions, etc. It is an invaluable tool for me. However, I very rarely use it for chit chat and I certainly don't use it to check text messages while at a theater!