Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Life's Not the Breath You Take....


"But life's not the breath you take, the breathing in and out.
That gets you through the day, ain't what it's all about.
You just might miss the point trying to win the race.
Life's not the breaths you take
but the moments that take your breath away"

These are some lyrics from George Strait's latest song "The Breath You Take". I only needed to hear it one time and I was sobbing. George has an amazing ability to drive home a message in the simplest way while hitting you in the gut.

The song made me think really hard about my own life and which moments have taken my breath away. It also made me stop and realize that my day to day life is filled with so many of these moments. I only need to take a second to step away from the mundane activities to see the beauty all around me.

What moments have taken your breath away?

Below are some of mine. Some of the breaths were full blown gasps, while others were subtle whispers of air. Others....somewhere in between. And I make no apologies for the level of corniness you are about to read.

1. The births of both my children

2. Hitting a double when I was a 10 year old perpetual strike out.

3. Watching footage of children reunited with a military mom or dad.

4. The night my husband proposed. Shocked the knickers off me after duping me into carving an entire pumpkin for his school project, then hiding the ring inside.

5. Then the ear to ear Jack O Lantern smile from my dad after we told him.

6. Hearing Corinna Calise sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on my answering machine.

7. Watching my kids cuddle up together

8. Having all my brother's kids reunited with our family for a photo shoot. Seeing the boys (who are now men) still acting like goof balls, made my heart smile big.

9. On my wedding day, when the photographer first said, "Turn your head toward your husband". Pure butterflies!

10. Watching my son present the baby Jesus during Christmas Eve mass.

11. Winning a spelling bee in the 5Th grade.

12. Any Christmas morning

13. Watching the utter shock on my husband's face when I told him I was pregnant with our second miracle baby.

14. The surprising pangs I feel watching my 2ND grader walking into school on any given day.

15. Discovering IKEA for the first time. Sort of like being in Disney, Bed & Bath, and OZ at the same time. Magical!

16. A chocolate cream pie from Zaccagnini's Bakery for my birthday. (B-day is in March, in case you need to plan ahead)

I'd love to hear about what takes your breath away. I have many more to share too, but I'm going to run out of oxygen if I keep writing! Just wanted to get the convo started.....

3 comments:

Debbie Turner said...

If I'm in an audience listening to a great singer, or watching an exceptional dancer, it takes my breath away. Something that requires talent and years of hard work comes together to look easy.

Becky's Big Bytes said...

I so agree with you Deb! Forgot to include that one on the list. Certain artists really do it. Especially the ones who were simply destined to sing/dance. Just nothing more beautiful than seeing someone fulfilling their destiny!

SHARON ELLEN BURTMAN said...

Your dad also sported "the ear to ear Jack O Lantern smile" as he walked you down the aisle.