Friday, December 31, 2010

RIP Mickey and Goodbye 2010

Today is the last day of 2010. I spent a good part of the day, saying goodbye to my best friend Michelle's dear father, Mickey. He died just 2 days after Christmas, very peacefully. Mickey lived a long life and we were all beginning to think that he would live forever, considering he'd bounced back after many close calls.

I don't know how she did it, but Michelle read a short and sweet eulogy about her dad today. She simply adored him and I know her life will be forever changed and difficult without him. She didn't read words of sorrow and despair today. She talked about Mickey's love of family, pastry, taking naps (and encouraging everyone around him to nap with him!), his generosity and lastly, how he loved a good time. As she talked about his love of hats, she then plopped on her head a red, white and green knitted hat, Mickey's favorite. Michelle is never afraid of how she might look silly, especially in front of a church full of people. That is one of the things I love about her! She put the "fun" in funeral today. I know, it sounds strange to be laughing at a funeral....but Mickey was always laughing and looking for a good time. Mickey would want everyone laughing at his funeral and Michelle gave him exactly that.

Today was an incredible celebration for an incredible man.

He had endured a difficult childhood, losing his dad at the age of 10. He survived major trauma in World War II. The man was no stranger to tragedy, yet he lived out the rest of his life having fun and he taught his daughter, my best friend to do the same. She too, has endured more than any parent should have to, yet she always has a smile on her face and a kick in her step. She is the one everyone goes to for guidance, a shoulder to cry on, and comic relief. I'll never know how she does it!

While I am not one for New Year's resolutions, this week I've been thinking outside of the usual box (exercise more, eat healthier, quit procrastinating). Instead, my resolution is to have more fun. More play dates for me, instead of my kids. Not taking life so seriously is going to be at the top of my list.

I dedicate these resolutions to you, Michael DiDomenico. Rest in Peace, Mickey. We love you!

No comments: