Saturday, August 11, 2012

Inside the Mind of a Vegetable Madwoman

Many people ask me, "Becky, what is your process like? When you get your veggies home, how exactly do you decide what to do with them?"

Well, my process is very specific.

First, I unload the box on the kitchen island. I let out a small shriek so as not to scare the kids. Next, I breathe heavily into a brown bag. I line up all the veggies and talk to them. I welcome them to my humble home and thank them profusely for feeling so comfortable in their own skins that they don't mind having some group photos taken.  Sometimes a few of them get pushy, like the Cubanelle peppers like to dominate or the Zahara eggplants (the little guys in front) have a Napoleon Complex.  I always say, "Why can't we all just get along?" And then they do.  Somehow they work it out because they know their time is very limited on this island.

The poor beets didn't know how to squeeze in

Standing at attention. (I know they are all sighing though.)

Once the photo shoot gets going, everyone lightens up

Then it's time for a group hug

But then some wiseguy pulls a fast one

Then the hardcore work begins

 

What big ears you have!
So as you can see, it's all very methodical.  My little helpers keep my Ninja focus in check!

What's your CSA process? Do you have any special tips you'd like to share? Am I the only one freaking out?

PS. My mom thinks I have way too much time on my hands but really it's just toilet cleaning avoidance.

No comments: