I just finished reading Michael Pollan's Food Rules. Just so you know, for me to say I've actually finished a book is a huge deal. I like to read but rarely find something I can finish lately, other than the obits. Sorry, the "Italian Sports Page" as my sister Jen likes to call it, is mandatory reading with my cup o' joe, as depressing as it sounds.
Food Rules is a quick read containing 64 rules about eating. Below are some of my faves quoted directly from the book. I will list them by number as they are in the book:
1. Eat Food
7. Avoid food products containing ingredients a third grader cannot pronounce
11. Avoid foods you see advertised on television
12. Eat only foods that will eventually rot
19. If it came from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't.
20. It's not food if it arrived through the window of your car
21. It's not food if it's called by the same name in every language. (Think Big Mac, Cheetos, or Pringles.)
37. The whiter the bread, the sooner you'll be dead.
39. Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.
57. Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does.
60. Treat Treats as Treats
One evening we had our dear friends over for dinner. I will call them Mickey and Minnie. Over dessert, Mickey decided to read the book aloud to us for fun. When he got to # 57, "Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does", my husband thought of a few more "Rules" and believe me, we all had a few belly laughs.
I need to give the Mr. complete credit for the following:
1. Don't eat where you gas or you'll have a fat a**.
2. ExtraMart means extra fat.
3. Eating at Cumby's means fat bummies (For you non-New Englanders, Cumby's is short for Cumberland Farms, a convenience store/gas station. Little Debbie lives there.)
4. Seven Eleven means faster to Heaven.
Side note, marry someone who makes you laugh. It really does make the marital ride so much easier!