Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Becky's Oven Baked Fries

I think it's time for another recipe. You know, I really love French fries but instead of frying them, I bake them at a high heat in the oven to make them crispy. It took me a few years to figure this out so now you don't have to!


I love drowning my fries in ketchup and vinegar (it's a Rhode Island thing!) and I don't miss the deep fried-ness, as long as I have my condiments, I'm a happy girl!

Becky's Oven Baked Fries

4-5 medium all purpose or russet potatoes
cooking spray
onion powder
salt
pepper
garlic powder
paprika
dried parsley

Scrub the taters well and leave the skins on. Dry well with a towel or paper towel. Cut the potatoes in approx 1/2 inch wedges. Spray a baking sheet or a grill pan generously with cooking spray. Place sliced potatoes in the pan evenly so they are not on top of each other. Spray the potatoes generously with cooking spray and shake the pan around. This will help the spices to stick well without adding lots of fat. Next, take all your spices, approx 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of each and mix together in a small bowl until well combined. Sprinkle the seasonings over the potatoes and give them another shake around to evenly distribute.

Bake in 450 degree oven. Check them around the 30 minute mark and give the pan a good shake. The key to making good baked fries is high heat and not letting them stick to the pan. You can flip them over with a spatula and bake approx 15 more minutes or until they are the desired crispness.

You can get a little more adventurous with your spices. Try cumin and/or chili powder, cayenne pepper, etc. Just be mindful of the crowd you are feeding! There really is no wrong way to season them, just go easy on the salt because you can always add more later if needed.

Thanks to Mark Sylvestre, my blogtographer and #1 taste tester!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy ... I love 'em!