Friday, July 13, 2012

A CSA Pizza!

Last night was one of those nights when I had a mild panic attack and thought all my fresh produce would simultaneously go bad.  (I know, it's crazy, right?) When I get in this mode, there is only one solution and that is to make pizza!  I managed to use 3 of my CSA ingredients and whipped up a new one. My husband aptly named  this one Pizza Primavera.
 
The Before

I am notorious for throwing stuff together and simply using what's available so the CSA is right up my alley. I don't measure anything (unless I'm baking) and somehow, it turns out great.

The trick is, there is no trick. You use what's on hand but use it wisely. Below are my ingredients but you don't need to precisely follow this. I had some leftover mushrooms and sliced zucchini that were reaching their end so I used them up too. Be creative and mix and match whatever cheeses you like! You can also throw in a splash of white wine while you are cooking the veggies.

Ingredients:
1 lb pizza dough (I happen to LOVE Calise dough!)
3-4 TBS extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves crushed garlic
1 CSA bunch of fresh broccoli. Chop off the tough ends. Slice into stalks and steam for about 5 minutes, just to bring out the green color
1/4 cup red onion sliced or chopped
leftover mushrooms (3 or 4 Baby Bellas)
1 CSA sliced tomato
1/4 of a CSA zucchini sliced
2-3 tsp jarred pesto
1/2 cup low fat feta cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
sliced hot pepper rings (optional)
fresh basil sliced for garnish at the end
salt, pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
After steaming the broccoli, let it cool, then chop it up.
Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add red onion and cook until tender but not brown. Add garlic, then mushrooms, zucchini and cook til tender, not too long.  Add the chopped up broccoli, salt, pepper and oregano and saute for a few minutes. Add a drizzle more of oil if needed. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spread out your dough in your lightly greased pizza pan.
Brush the pesto over the top from end to end, leaving some crust.
Sprinkle Feta cheese over this.
Next transfer your broccoli mixture over the feta.
Top with sliced tomatoes, hot peppers if using, and mozzarella cheese.
Shake some grated Parmesan over the top.
Lightly drizzle with olive oil over the top.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until crust on bottom is lightly golden or to your liking.

The After!

When it comes out of the oven, top with sliced basil for garnish.

Note: If you have too much topping and think it will overload the pizza, just put the leftovers in a container. Use it later as a topping for rice, couscous, pasta, or just eat it as one of your Five A Day!

Enjoy my friends. If you have any questions or suggestions, please drop me a note below.

Picture credits to my friend Mark Sylvestre who writes his own blog. Check it out!.

1 comment:

Debra Turner said...

Becky, do you make your own pizza dough?