Sunday, July 15, 2012

Broccoli Revelations

I think I may need to be resuscitated. My kids finally not only like broccoli but they love it. For years I have been trying to coax them into eating it.

"C'mon honey, it's a little tree! Try it. No, wait, it's a bush! Eat the bush!"

"Don't you eat it all. I want it! "

"I'll give you 5 extra kisses if you eat it. No, I'll give you 5 dollars if you try it!"

"I'll let you eat a Fruit Rollup for breakfast tomorrow"

"I'll buy you a pony!"

All for naught!

Until this week. While preparing the Pizza Primavera on a whim, out sat a cutting board filled with chopped steamed broccoli. (No offense, broccoli, but you didn't look very appetizing.) The kids were bugging me for something to eat so I said, "Here, try this". The next thing I knew, my 9 year old was making broccoli sandwiches with Wheat Thins and my 4 year old was pretending his florets were police whistles.
He looks like my kid......
For so long, I tried making broccoli "appealing" and now they are eating it in its most unattractive form. It's like the broccoli put on her most unflattering jeans yet all the other crops thought she was hot.

"Mommy, this broccoli is delicious!"
"I love it!"

Who are you and what did you do to my children? 

All I can say is that magical things are happening all around me. My husband has been snacking on golden beets (previously would not touch with a 10 foot pole), my friend Aileen is eating her beets as a midnight snack (ditto to her too), and I'm eating cherry tomatoes instead of my usual chocolate in the closet.

Thank you CSA. I thought I would just be getting "a bunch of veggies each week." I think I may have underestimated your powers!

Looking forward to another magical week : )






No comments: