Monday, August 30, 2010

Cookies for Breakfast

Yes, I am the best mom, EVER!

With school starting this week, everyone is wondering what to pack for the kids' lunches. No one is talking Sugar Smack about breakfast, the most important meal of the day.

I have figured out a way to get my kids to eat more than the usual nibble at breakfast time. I give them cookies. Not just any old Oreos or Chips Ahoy, my dears. I actually bake them cookies for breakfast. Now before you think I have gone over to the dark side where kids are eating Toaster Strudels, Pop Tarts, or licorice (yes, I do think they all belong in the same category whether you want to believe it or not), I have found the answer to every parent's breakfast dilemma. The Breakfast Cookie.

You see, I have one son who likes cereal but not with milk. I see him muddling through the bowl like it's agony. It's just so dry and blah. He won't eat eggs but he loves pancakes. He eats a yogurt every single morning of his life, without fail. The rest of breakfast can be tricky, especially on school mornings when the time crunch hits and I'm screaming, EAT YOUR BREAKFAST OR YOU'LL MISS THE BUS!!!
They say "necessity is the mother of invention" and I do believe it must have been a mother who invented the Breakfast Cookie! She surely had a child like mine.
There are many recipes out there and I'm sure if you just Google it, you'll find one you like. The one I made today is from Disney's Magic Kitchen Cookbook. I followed it, mostly to the letter but I thought a few changes would make them slightly healthier. The recipe below includes the changes I've made.
Bring these along when your child has a sports activity and needs a little healthy snack to keep him going or even pack one in the lunch box. And since no one I know has time to bake on a school morning, make these on the weekend and freeze for later.
Ingredients:
Non-stick cooking spray
1 Smart Balance stick softened (Smart Balance is a great butter blend. Works great in baking, sub it for butter)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups Total Raisin Bran or Original Total
2 TBS ground flax seed meal (optional)
1/4 cup chocolate chips....or more (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the cookie sheet with non-stick spray.

In a large bowl, beat the Smart Balance for 30 seconds with electric mixer. Add brown sugar and baking soda. Beat until mixed. Add the eggs, beating until mixed. Add the flour and ground flax seed meal (if using) until the mixture no longer looks dry and resembles cookie dough. Use a wooden spoon to mix in the cereal and chocolate chips if using. (This will mash the cereal a bit automatically in case you thought the flakes are too big.)

For each cookie, pack the mixture into a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Spoon out the mixture with a rubber spatula onto the prepared cookie sheet. Press the mound of dough and flatten slightly. Repeat with remaining dough, placing the cookies 3 inches apart.

Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and let sit on the cookie sheet for 1 minute longer.

Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool.
Makes 12 cookies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good healthy cookie. Tell me, are they as good as the oreo cookies? LOL

Annie said...

You are the BEST MOM ever!! I never got homemade cookies for breakfast that's for sure.. I love the concept and have even made cinnamon biscotti breakfast treats for myself. Let's face it, time is crazy in the morning and homemade cookies have to be healthier than most of the packaged crap in the stores!
P.S. I love the addition of ground flax. I use it in some of my cookies and no one ever notices it.