Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mommy's Mystery Meltdown

My latest brainchild falls under the category of "What was she thinking?", especially in light of my post Halloween tirade just a few days ago. Clearly I am still under the influence.

Last night I suddenly thought, what if we unwrapped all of the chocolate-related candy, cut it up a bit, and then melted it all together. What if we took that mixture and spread it into a pan and made our own original candy?

Well, that is what we did and I'm still twitching.  If there is an AA group for people like me, last night would have been a great time for an intervention. But the kids  thought it was such a cool idea, I had to execute it. Who would think that just a short month ago my kids were eating kale and doing endless photo shoots with zucchini and jalapeno peppers? 

I've Googled "what to do with leftover Halloween candy" and have not found anyone who is smart (dumb) enough to do this. So, I am hoping this is an original idea. At least it is to me!

I had a few rules for this "recipe". Only chocolate. We used Twix, Reese's, Milky Ways, Butterfingers, Snickers, Whoppers, Milk Duds, Heath Bars, M&Ms, Baby Ruth, Three Muskateers. We omitted anything with mint like Junior Mints or Peppermint Patties because we thought it would conflict with the peanut flavors.
Nicolas hard at work unwrapping
Luca happily parting with some of his candy. Ninja focus.
Getting ready for the heat
Yes, I am aware that it looks like poop but don't be fooled!
In the end, it tasted great!
We melted the chocolate over very, very low heat. We lined a baking pan with wax paper, then poured the mixture into the pan. We let this cool a bit and then topped with M&Ms and then stuck in the fridge.

Once it hardened, it was cuttable into a bark or chunks.  You could use this for the holidays too! Or, keep the mixture and then chop it up later to use as a sundae topping.

There are many combinations you could do. I'd love to try one with Mounds and Peppermint Patties or Junior Mints.

What I really liked about this candy bar was that I never knew what I would bite into next. One second I tasted a Butterfinger chunk, the next, a Whopper.  It was really a collision of all of my favorite worlds in one pan.

Of all the meltdowns I've had as a mother, this one was, by far the best! 

No comments: