Saturday, June 23, 2012

Got Veggies?

Did you know that June is National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month? Who knew? I think its timing is perfect because we are counting down the days to Confreda's CSA program.  Please click here for the scoop!

I'm getting myself and my kitchen ready for my Family CSA share.  My pots and pans, fridge, counters, colanders, sharp knives, peelers, strainers, graters, and my kids, have all been primped and prepped. They are all standing at attention, waiting for the big day.  I might even iron my apron I'm so excited. (For those of you who know me, ironing is as low on my list as watching golf.)


I'm also a bit nervous so I get it if you are too. But I am jumping right in and if you are on the fence about whether to join the CSA, read on:
  1. A family CSA membership breaks down to $42/week.  A single CSA is $28/week. If you are avid  veggie eaters, a weekly supermarket produce bill will equal or exceed these amounts.
  2. What you get in return is a wide variety of  freshly picked, local produce each week.
  3. The program runs from July 2 - October 13 so for 14 weeks you can skip your local supermarket trips and soley rely on your CSA share for the week (or longer!).
  4. If you live closer to Whole Foods in Cranston, you can pick up your weekly share there.
  5. If you are nervous about having too much in your bushel, here's an idea:  Share your Share! Family, neighbors and co-workers can all reap the benefits. You may want to consider splitting the cost of the CSA share with them as well. This is OK! What you do with your share is up to you.
  6. You are helping your local economy! Also, did you know that when you buy produce in the supermarkets in the summer, chances are very good that it comes from Confredas? Why not eliminate the middle man and get it straight from the farm?
  7. You will develop a healthier lifestyle and become part of the agricultural community.
Remember, I will be blogging each week to help you figure out what to do with your shares. I cannot wait for this experience and to take you along for the ride.

You can download the CSA membership form right here so what are you waiting for?  Celebrate National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month all summer long by supporting Confreda's CSA.

No comments: