Saturday, November 12, 2011

Want some candy little girl?

I am writing this blog under the influence of being dessert free for one whole week. I didn't think it was possible but after Halloween came and went, I went on a Tootsie Roll bender that would choke a horse. It was not pretty.

I decided to just cut myself off and go cold turkey and now I must say, I'm feeling a bit strange. I definitely don't feel like eating as much and now I'm craving raw vegetables. I am not sure if you should congratulate me or console me. I'm also feeling a tad self-righteous but that's not to say you won't find me face down in a Zaccagnini's chocolate cream pie a week from now. I know this won't last, and that's OK. I just had to detox and take back the control. Excessive sugar really does mess with your brain chemistry and is an addictive substance. Why else would I be eating cake pops in the bathroom and when asked by my kids, "Mommy, what's that you're eating?" my reply "Cheese", when it was actually the 10th mini Milky Way.

People have asked me, "How do you give it up?" Well, you have to be ready. You have to reach rock candy bottom, like I did. And to answer the question, "How do you continue to do it?" Well, I take the AA approach. One Day at a Time. I also find it helpful to snub the sweets when they somehow cross my path. I can be a real b*tch like that.

Have you ever tried to give up sweets? If so, please share your experience here. Am I the only one eating cake pops in the bathroom?

No comments: